Friday, August 25, 2006

Teocali

Some of my very best lunches end up being ones I didn't intend on having. The lunch I was supposed to have today involved You Say Tomato at 28th & Holmes, but on Fridays no one should allow me to drive anywhere because I'm distracted and ready for a nap and bound to turn a full three blocks before I am required to. This distracted miscalculation brought us to 25th and Holmes where we saw that Teocali didn't look too busy. We'd been meaning to eat there eventually, so, figuring this to be just another happy accident, I hurried up and parked before we ended up in Gladstone or on the moon or something.
Teocali is a great little mexican place in one of my favorite areas of the city. The exterior of the restaurant is bright and welcoming, and the inside, while small, is very clean, well decorated, and open. Lunch prices are exceedingly reasonable - ranging from $4.99 to $7.99. And while I normally resent having to pay for chips and salsa, they were so fresh and the salsa was actually spicy, so it made the $1.99 price tag seem like no big deal. The Sopes (little masa patties) were topped with refried beans, shredded white meat chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream. The Sincronizada was like a ham and monterey jack quesadilla, smothered with a tomato sauce that had a sweet and savory bite to it. Both were served with rice and beans.
The next time we end up at Teocali I feel quite certain it will be because we're driving to Teocali...possibly for breakfast...maybe even tomorrow.


Teocali
2512 Holmes
816*221*4749
open Mon-Thurs 7am-10pm
Fri 7am-1:30am
Sat 10am-1:30am

4 comments:

NYC TAXI SHOTS said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I miss the Firehouse bar that was there before...:( But things change. Thanks for the review, I'll have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I live near Teocali and have been there every Saturday since it opened. The family who runs it is very nice and the food is great. I'm thrilled to have a neighborhood joint. FYI-They haven't started opening for breakfast yet.

Anonymous said...

Teocali is wonderful and exactly what we've been looking for in a Mexican restaurant. Although we live by Sol Azteca and Taqueria Mexico, I'd rather drive over to Teocali to chow down. I love the Flautas Nortenas (done with flour tortillas and loaded with chicken and other goodies) and my husband is slowly working his way through the menu. These are the best fish tacos we've had since leaving Southern California, where we could zip down to Rosarito Beach for fresh-caught fish in taco form. The shrimp dishes are heavenly too. My first bite of their salsa told me I didn't have to worry about the rest of the meal - just the right amount of heat, just enough cilantro and not overloaded with onion. I would recommend Teocali to anyone!