Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Bean Cakes

Back when we first moved in together, we ate a ridiculous amount of black beans. Black bean tacos, black bean quesadillas, black beans and rice, black bean whatever - it was cheap, and black beans are yummy, and I pretty much burned myself out on them as an entree option. Lately, though, black beans haven't sounded too bad and so I unearthed one of our favorite black bean recipes last night: Black Bean Cakes. I have no idea where I got this one, but I love it because it's versatile and easy to make and makes for a good lunch the next day, too. They're even good cold.

(Add a fresh jalapeno if you've got one. I threw some drained canned corn in ours last night just for a little something and they were really good. They look like poop, but I promise you they don't taste like it.)

Black Bean Cakes
2 cans black beans, drained
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
1 T. chili powder
1 T. cumin
1 tsp kosher salt
Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
2 lg eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. flour (or more, if needed)

In a blender, puree beans, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper flakes and eggs to make a batter. Pour batter into a large bowl and combine with onion, garlic, and flour until well combined.
Heat 1-2 T. vegetable oil over medium to medium-high heat. When hot, add bean cake mixture 1 T. or so at a time. Cook for 2 minutes per side. Cool on baking rack or keep warm in 250 degree oven while you make the rest of the bean cakes.
Serve with sour cream, salsa, and warm tortillas.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Man, those look tasty. I especially like the pile of avocado on the plate. I have been eating avocado/guacamole like there is - literally - no tomorrow.

Ron isn't big on black beans, but I may have to make these for myself one night. I am trying to focus on protein.

Franci said...

have you ever had black bean & sweet potato enchiladas? delicious :)

Sara said...

ooooh...those sound good. franci, if you have a good recipe, i'd love to have a copy of it!