I love the chicken sandwich. Not the bad chicken sandwich - the one with the limp chicken, the horrible lettuce leaf, the see-through pink tomato slice and the low-fat mayo. A good one, for me, means good chicken, good bread, some sort of gooey condiment, and something extra, like pickles. (Pickles aren't a requirement, but they certainly don't hurt anything or anyone.) These are my favorites, in no particular order:
1. Chick-Fil-A: I've talked to a lot of people who are "eh" about the whole Chick-Fil-A madness that seemed to accompany the opening of the Ward Parkway location. I contend, however, that it is the best fast food chicken sandwich money can buy. It's not just the waffle fries, either. The chicken is always hot, perfectly breaded, and looks (and tastes) like good white-meat chicken - not some chopped up processed mess that has been shaped to resemble a patty. And it comes with pickles. You don't even have to ask.
2. Max's: The Charbroiled Chicken at Max's is marinated or basted in a savory somethingorother that, when it comes off the grill, makes it juicy and perfectly seasoned. If you get it with everything, you get mayo, onions, lettuce, and pickles, and by the time you're nearly finished the soft bun is falling apart in your hands. It's a mess, in a good way. Eat it there, on Wornall, and enjoy it while it's hot.
3. Westport Flea Market: The Cajun Chicken sandwich here is awesome. Sometimes they can be a little heavy-handed with the cajun rub, but the flavors themselves are always good. Once they call your name (real or pseudonym), you can dress it however you like it. It's even good with the thousand island dressing.
4. Jerusalem Cafe: Not a traditional pick (and no pickles here), but the Chicken Gyro fills all my other sandwich needs. Good well-seasoned chicken wrapped in freshly-baked pita bread, with lettuce, onion, cheese and a sauce that will make you want to lick the plate. You can use your pita for this, however, and spare yourself any embarrassment.
5. The Mixx: Anything involving the words tarragon mayonnaise and butter croissant would make me smile from ear to ear, but the Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwich ups the ante by mixing it up with tender chicken, crunchy jicama, grapes, and pecans. The crunch factor is a huge plus, and washed down with one of their fresh-squeezed lemonades, this sandwich will pump up your day from good to excellent.