Sunday, March 25, 2007

Shatto


Feeding
Originally uploaded by noodletown.

Going to a farm always feels like going back to something. Maybe it's going back to someplace you've never even truly been, but it always feels like a sort of return. A return to the land. A return to what living used to be like. A return to basics. To me, it feels good, like taking a deep breath.

My Mom lives about an hour North of the city and I always feel better - more relaxed - when I'm out at her house. The noise is less. The traffic is less. The pace is slower. And since she's only about ten minutes from the Shatto Dairy we decided to take a tour as soon as the weather got warmer.

We tagged along Saturday with the unruly Cub Scouts and the families and the out-of-towners and had a wonderful time. I pet the calves while my husband fed them a bottle, met a beautiful Swiss cow named Pat, found out what the hell it means when they say that milk is homogenized, and brought home 1 quart each of the Banana, Orange Cream, and Root Beer Milk (my all-time favorite). We have some serious milk drinking to do before we leave town this week.

If you have kids, or just love Shatto's milk, I highly recommend the tour. You'll be charmed by Leroy Shatto, who is doing what he loves and finally being recognized for it. You'll fall in love with a cow. You'll slow down, take a deep breath, and go back a little.

Shatto Dairy
9406 N Hwy 33
Osborn, MO 64474
to schedule a tour,
call (816) 930-3862

the Country Store is open 7 days a week
Monday-Friday 8am - 6pm
Saturday 8am - 4pm
Sunday 9am - 4pm


No comments: