Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Summer Dip

In my childhood, I don't think I attended a single summer gathering with my Mom's side of the family where this dip wasn't served. I loved it and still love it, and crave it when the weather gets warmer and my arms start getting just a touch brown from the sun. It is, of course, best when the meatiest tomatoes are in season, but you can make do with even kind of scraggly tomatoes because you're just dousing the whole damn mix in vinegar anyhow. Because of the vinegar thing, the dip gets better as all the flavors meld together.
I'm not going to give you proportions because this is a fly by the seat of your pants kind of thing.

Antipasto Dip

Tomatoes, seeded & small diced
Green onions, finely chopped
Jar(s) of Banana Peppers (hot or mild, to taste), small diced
Can(s) of large Black Olives, sliced
Red Wine Vinegar

Mix first four ingredients together in large bowl and douse with lots of good red wine vinegar. Stir to coat all ingredients. I typically make this dip at least a day in advance of serving it and stir it two to three times while it marinates in the refrigerator. Transfer to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.


No comments: