Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving

I still can't believe Thanksgiving is this week. I spent a good portion of my morning making up my grocery list, cutting coupons (how very domestic of me), and then I realized that that list wasn't nearly long enough because we have to get all this other stuff for Thanksgiving! Which is in two days! And we better buy a small turkey just for the two of us because we don't have a line on any leftovers and I don't want to be depressed on Friday when I don't have any turkey for a turkey sandwich on white bread with Durkee's and white cheddar and lots of fresh cracked pepper and Josh's homemade cranberry sauce.

Anyhow. My Thanksgiving contribution every year is wild rice casserole, which is both easy and delicious and comes straight from my Mom's kitchen. Nothing tastes more like fall to me than wild rice. Every year Josh and I dance around each other in the kitchen in our pj's on Thanksgiving morning - me making my casserole, while he stirs up a big pot of cranberries that are cracking and popping their skins and melding together with shallots and ginger. We kick the dog out of the kitchen once every three or four minutes ("No beg, Fish!") and turn on the Thanksgiving Day parade and drink coffee.

This year, I'm thankful for the little one who will be sitting up in a high chair watching all of it with wide eyes and his wry little grin.

Wild Rice Casserole

1 c. wild rice, cooked according to package directions
2 c. long grain white rice, cooked according to package directions
1 small bunch of celery, diced
2 yellow onions, diced
1 jar banana peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 stick of butter
2 c. vegetable broth

salt & pepper to taste

Saute onions and celery in butter until onions are translucent. Add vegetable broth & rice. Cook on stovetop and stir frequently until rice absorbs broth. Add water to keep moist if necessary. Add chopped banana peppers and salt & pepper, to taste.
Can be kept warm in a covered casserole in a low oven.

No comments: