Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Dressings

I got the nicest email today! It was from Clare (Hi, Clare!) who reads my blog, sent me a link to a NY Times article which I really enjoyed reading, and asked about recipes for salad dressings. She also sent me a restaurant tip. Clare is my new favorite person!
Some days I just splash really good balsamic vinegar on some fresh lettuces and red onion and call it a day. But when I have a couple extra minutes and feel like using my pretty glass cruet, I love making my own salad dressing. It's fun to run out to the back deck, snip some fresh herbs, mix some liquids together, and pour it on fresh veggies with fresh cracked pepper. Here's my standard:
Mustard Chive Vinaigrette
1/4 c good white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
1 T minced fresh chives
2 tsp minced shallots
Pepper

Mix the vinegar, salt, and mustard together with a whisk. Slowly add the oil and whisk continuously. Add shallots, chives, fresh pepper and more salt if needed.

My new favorite dressing, though, is a Balsamic fig vinaigrette. You can make a fig balsamic puree by taking a cup of dried figs and puree it with 2 cups of balsamic vinegar. This dressing will make you want to lick your plate.

Balsamic Fig Vinaigrette
1 c fig balsamic puree
1 minced shallot
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and Black Pepper

Combine the shallots, garlic, lemon juice, and fig puree. Whisk in the oil, and add a pinch of salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste.
I've put a call in to a friend for his very marvelous blue cheese dressing recipe...it's the best I've had. If he agrees to share it, I'll post it!

No comments: