Friday, June 30, 2006

McGonigle's Market

Okay, so there's no way that you don't know about McGonigle's, but I have this habit of forgetting about it that leads me to think that maybe you have forgotten about it too. We used to live in the area, so it always entered my mind as a landmark more than a destination, but every once in a while we'd brave the challenging parking situation, enticed by the giant smoker in the parking lot and the primal smell of smoked meat and fish.
This afternoon while driving down Ward Parkway I caught the big hulking shape of a smoker out of the corner of my eye and it refreshed my memory. The Friday special in the summer is a smoked Half Chicken for $3.98, which was more than enough for the two of us for dinner. Nevertheless, we bought two, knowing that it would be just as good for lunch tomorrow. Two half chickens and a jar of Blues Hog barbecue sauce later, we were only out $12 and I was reminding myself to make the drive to McGonigle's more often.

McGonigle's Market
79th & Ward Parkway
816*444*4720

2 comments:

Dan said...

I used one of those chicken halves to do a variation on pasta carbonara that turned out to be a big hit, and a bit healthier than the bacon-fat-loaded version I ussually make.

Anonymous said...

What a great store and a KC icon. It has been around long enough that I remember my Grandma calling it "the country store".